The Windermere Foundation was established in 1989 to support low-income and homeless families in the communities where Windermere is present. In honor of National Homeless Youth Awareness Month, we have compiled the following list of organizations that support and help the young homeless population in our country.
Each year in the United States, an estimated 4.2 million youth and young adults become homeless, of whom 700,000 are unaccompanied minors (ncsl.org). The most common causes of youth homelessness include a lack of affordable housing, economic hardship, substance abuse by a family member, parental neglect, objection to sexual orientation or gender identity, and mental disorders.
Unaccompanied homeless youth are at greater risk for anxiety disorders, depression, post-traumatic stress and suicide due to greater exposure to violence while living on their own. Read more about the causes and consequences of homelessness among young people online at ncsl.org (National Conference of State Legislators).
Here are some ways you can support homeless youth in your community:
Organizations supported by the Windermere Foundation:
The Windermere Foundation supports organizations that are committed to helping homeless youth and families in their communities, among others. To support these organizations, you can donate to the Windermere Foundation through your local Windermere office.
- New Roads for Youth in Oregon provides services including education, vocational training, counseling and supportive housing.
- Partners mentoring youth in Colorado empowers youth and community members to reach their full potential through mentoring, prevention, education and strategic partnership.
- The Mockingbird Society in Washington is committed to transitioning young people to safe, supportive and stable homes by transforming foster care.
- America’s Boys and Girls Clubs empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing a safe space, caring adult mentors and powerful youth development programs.
- the YMCA is committed to helping communities learn, grow and thrive, while empowering youth.
For more information about the Windermere Foundation or to make a donation, please visit: windermerfoundation.com. To donate, click the button below.